America's Boating Course
- The squadron conducts two courses for the public. One is the 12 - Hour America's Boating Course 3rd Edition®. It is offered three times a year in the spring, fall and winter. The other is the 8-Hour America's Boating Course that is offered once in the summer for teenagers.
- Both courses meet the Massachusetts certification requirements for power boating and satisfy the course requirement for membership in the United States Power Squadrons®.
- Qualified, enthusiastic and experienced USPS instructors from our squadron teach the courses. Proctors with years of boating experience offer individual help at each session.
- Each course has a well-written student manual that serves as a useful reference long after the course is completed.
- You will learn to skipper a boat with confidence.
12-Hour America’s Boating Course 3rd Edition®:
12 Hour Course
- This comprehensive classroom course includes
lessons on seamanship, lines and knots, boat handling,
boat types, necessary equipment, rules of the road,
charts and navigation aids, adverse conditions, marine
VHF radio, boat trailering and introductory piloting.
- Many boaters today use GPS navigation techniques
and so the course covers an introduction to digital
- Course materials include a student manual, training
charts, basic navigation tools and a digital chart
- Since boating is often a family activity, we encourage
families to attend as groups.
- The course is usually taught in eight two-hour sessions
one evening a week.
8-Hour America's Boating Course®:
8 Hour Course
- The course covers the same safe boat handling and
operating material as the more comprehensive
12-Hour course, except that material on introductory
piloting and digital charting topics are not covered.
- The course is usually taught in four two-hour sessions
once a week
- As mentioned, our squadron offers this course only to
teenagers between the ages of 12 and 16.